Title: Career Readiness Certificate – Finding the Right Person for the Right Job
Main presenters: Mindy Fast, Martha O’Keefe
Panelists: Jim Charapich, Kim Rodenberg, Mike Lindsey, Jud Leach
Facilitator: Dr. Joseph Peck
Date: Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Duration: 70 minutes
To download the audio recording:
- Windows users: right-click the link above and and select “Save link as”
- Mac users: control-click on the link above and select “Save As”
This webinar was made possible through the generous support of the Piedmont Workforce Network in partnership with:
- Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services (DARS)
- Germanna Community College Center for Workforce and community Education
- Culpeper Chamber of Commerce
To learn more, please contact Kim Rodenberg (540-322-5767) at Germanna Community College or visit www.crc.virginia.gov.
The Virginia Community College System, Germanna Community College, The Piedmont Workforce Network, and the Culpeper Chamber of Commerce are collaborating to solve a local employment problem.
The problem to be solved is reconciling the job skills demand with the skills of unemployed workers.
In January 2013, the Unemployment figures for Virginia Planning District 9 ranged from 6-7%, amounting to about 1000 workers on the roles of the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC). The jobs available amounted to well over 1000 jobs in the area. At first glance it appeared that the unemployment should be 0% Unemployment, However, The issues are not as simple as it seems.
We have a unique opportunity to reduce unemployment with strategic partnerships with business and the workforce network, while at the same time becoming a model community for other communities in Virginia and other states.
Testing for jobs skills through the CRC in collaboration with the community colleges and other community partners helps to identify and match jobs with the needed skills, learning capacity, and portability of skills between industries.
During this webinar, we …
- Provide an overview of the Career Readiness Certificate (CRC) and the Work Keys System
- Explain how the CRC benefits employers by saving money, time, and employee turnover?
- Discuss how businesses can learn more about the CRC and get started using it
- Discuss barriers to having business recognize the CRC at a minimum for hiring preferences
- Discuss barriers to having business adopt the CRC fully into their hiring systems, validated for each job definition
We are seeking feedback from our local businesses to help develop a plan and model that makes our community more successful and more attractive. At the same time, we want to help unemployed workers find jobs they are qualified to fill.
- Jim Charapich, President and CEO, Culpeper Chamber of Commerce
- Mindy Fast, Coordinator of CustomizedTraining and ContinuingEducation in WorkforceDevelopment Services, Virginia Community College System (23 community colleges)
- Martha O’Keefe, Dean ofWorkforce and ProfessionalDevelopment at Germanna Community College
- Kimberly Rodenberg (Kim), Business and CareerCoordinator with Germanna Community College
- Mike Lindsey (Continental), HR Manager for ContinentalAutomotive in Newport News, VA
- Jud Leach, Favera
- Dr. Joseph Peck, Founder of Empower 2000, Inc.
THIS PROGRAM HAS BEEN AWARDED HRCI RECERTIFICATION CREDIT.
To receive HRCI credit, you must:
- Currently be PHR or SPHR certified,
- Watch the entire webinar, and
- Complete a short survey (MS Word, PDF)
More more information, please contact Kim Rodenberg (540-322-5767) at Germanna Community College.